Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Playtime

I was never into video games (I was never that good) but last night's video game session sparked my interests in them. There is no doubt that the Wii was the most popular of the night. I think its because of the innovating controls, cartoon-like graphics, and the fun it provides. I have never played the Wii before, but I am amazed how advance these games are now. Contrast from PacMan or Tetris, the video game industry has advance significantly these past years. I still remember when games were on one singular plane, and but now one can go in all directions like in games "Clouds".

There is no question how new games are far more complex today. Yet, could they be just too complex? One of the reasons why I don't play video games is becuase you have to learn how to play them, and that could take a good amount of time considering how games now have missions and objectives, large open planes and such. Plus, now games are longer with multi levels, encouraging people to play for hours and hours-making it almost addictive. The Wii paper on the other hand, had mini-games making it easier to play and caters to all ages.

In regards to the maturity of games today, they are more interactive than when I was a kid. They require more than action from the player than just pressing buttons. For example in DDR, you forget its just a game and gives the illusion that the player is dancing away at a club or something. With the Wii, the innovating remote really challenges the traditional remote. I have a feeling that future consoles would incorporate this.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Valerie C said...

I was never into games much either. Only when I got super super bored, did I resort to video games or computer games. Even then, the computer games I played were like TextTwist and Sudoku because I guess I like critical thinking better. Even though the technology of games has progressed greatly and pushed games onto a whole new level or coordination and thinking, I am still a great fan of traditional board games. Some do require the same body-mind coordination, while others don't. Also, I'd say board games are more mind interactive, but not as rushed. Games like scrabble allow time to think and sort through options in order to find the most optimal word. Other board games are timed and accelerate your thinking just like video games. However, I think board games are more personal in a sense of interactiveness with other people. I like that much better instead of playing with other people through some piece of media. It's more personal.

4/15/2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, sometimes video games seem complicated, because you might have to learn how to play, but when it comes down to it, they all have similar structure and pattern just like Manovich mentioned. So sometimes, I don't even go through the instruction guide. I just press the buttons and somehow, I end up knowing how to play on my own. =)

4/15/2007 9:08 PM  
Blogger Meegan Brooks said...

Your comment kind of reminds me of those virtual sports games they used to have. Specifically the video game that is shaped like a baseball bat or a tennis raquet or I think even a fishing pole, and the way you moved the device was translated into your move in the game. There was something in those simulations that never quite matched up to the real experience, and it seems like video game companies are trying to shrink the gap between simulations and real experiences. However, no matter how lifelike the video games become, I think that there is an X-factor that will never be captured in a program or game. In my cynical, anti-gaming opinion, it seems like some of the people who get really into these games (like the DDR masters who think that means they can really dance...you all know the type), are almost losing a sense of reality.

4/17/2007 1:16 AM  
Blogger I said "Yes" to Mr. Woo! said...

The gaming session was definitely a foreign thing to me. The closest I got to playing video games was Tetris during Calculus in High School. If I was in the vicinity otherwise, I would be spectating. So, initially, I was a bit stressed in thinking I would have to learn these games and try not to make a fool of myself. But I was surprised to find myself being able to enjoy the games, especially Wii, and came out thinking 'So THAT's why people like it so much!' But I still think that gaming is dangerous in the sense that it's possible to be enslaved by it (playing CS for over 24hours?!).

4/27/2007 1:07 AM  
Blogger tomsproats said...

Video games are designed so one can become very good at it if they spend so much time doing it. It is not mentally tough or exhausting but it is just time that you have to put into it to get something out of it. Video games are designed to be enjoyable and to keep the gamer coming back. They are so addictive. Most games have an ending though so when someone completetes it they move on another game. But new games like CS don't have a finish so people are hooked for life. Very danggerous in my opinion.

4/29/2007 8:55 PM  
Blogger Nehal N said...

Again Video games are not necessarily my thing. But although the Wii games were fun and exciting due to their new type of controls, the "Cloud" game was oddly interesting. It seemed to show that the game is no longer a piece of work that requires one person or people against each other. Instead, when playing this "game" I learned that things could not be done individually, and I ended up sharing the keyboard with someone else in order to fully play the game. These USC grad students seemed to have a different perspective in mind about video games, where the game itself not only has a message but full game play integrates a new form of cooperation.

4/29/2007 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home